Saturday, April 30, 2016

Postcards Received from New York

2030.  Greetings from New York
I am Godfrey and I am from Guyana, a small English speaking country in South America.  I was trevelling and enjoyed visiting New Hope in PA a couple of times.  I work as a carer for an elderly man in Manhattan for many years now.  People are living longer now.  Take care, Be safe.


1902.  New York State
"Old Museum Village, Smith's Clove: One Room Schoolhouse from Monroe 1805-1840"
Hi Chris!  Greetings from the southern tier of NY!  I grew up in southeastern PA (between Valley Forge and Lancaster) and am jealous of your new digs!  PA is so lovely.  NY is pretty too, but not the same.  Hoping that you are well & happy postcrossing!  Suzanne & Charles
 
1255.  Trinity Churchyard, New York City
Monument to Alexander Hamilton - former of the Constitution, first Secretary of the Treasury, and pewholder at Trinity Church.  In 1804, Hamilton died after a duel with Aaron Burr and rests in Trinity Churchyard.
First Line of a Book Postcard
Hello Chris.  On my Kindle, I'm reading "Alexander Hamilton" by Ron Chernow.  First line is:  "Alexander Hamilton claimed Nevis in the British West Indies as his birthplace, although no surviving records substantiate this."  I'm on page 9,221 of 22,722 - it's a very long book!  Alex & I were both born on January 11th (he's older)!  This is the book that Lin Manuel Miranda used to compose and write his smash it "Hamilton."  I've yet to see it, but it's not for a lack of trying.  It's showing in Denver now and I've been in the lottery for tickets every day, but so far no luck.  In NYC I saw Alex's home, grave, and a great statue at Columbia University, too.  Take care, Carol  3/24/2018

1254.  New York: The Empire State
Hello from still cold & snow-filled Syracuse.  I hope you're well.  When I'm not working I'm usually reading or bingeing Netflix shows.  As soo as spring really starts I'll be able to enjoy time outside.  Jennifer  March 20, 2018


695.  Two Cards from NYC - Mater & the Ghostlight and MOMA's version of the Empire State Building

Hi Chris!  I know you don't want any more famous buildings, but I feel this Empire building is unique.   You can cut the card and make a building yourself.  It's from the MOMA.

532.  Long Island Sound, New York
Hello Chris
I live about a mile from this picture, on the eastern end of Long Island, New York, in the small village of Greenport.  Across the sound is Connecticut.  I like the desert scenery ad mountains.  Happy postcrossing, Bob

414.  New York City, NY
Helmann:  In His Mysterious Cabinet of Dark Seances
Courtesy of Mike Caveney's Egyptian Hall Museum
Hi Chris,
I have all these cool magic-themed postcards, but I've felt like they're a little too weird for most postcrossers.  I'm glad you mentioned Day of the Dead.  I hope you enjoy whatever Hellman is up to.  I also hope that you're having a fabulous start to your retirement...Congrats!  Happy postcrossing!  Mary in NYC

394.  Fun Facts:  New York City
"Twice a year, during May and July, a phenomenon known as Manhattenhenge occurs in New York City.  The setting sun aligns perfectly with the east-west streets of Manhattan."
Hello Chris!
This postcard isn't traveling very far!  I live in NJ across the river from Philadelphia!
Hope you like this postcard!
Peace,
Karen

386.  New York City
June 5th, 2016
Hello Chris!
Sunny greetings from NYC.   Wonder what island you live in in Maine.  I Love ME in the summer!  Also enjoy iced cold classic Coca Cola - preferably in glass bottle.
Best, Dorothy

No comments: