Monday, April 25, 2016

Postcards Received from England

2031.  Sharks of Britain
Hello Chris!  I was a librarian in London for 27 years.  Gave it up a few years ago to look after my dad.  Now I'm an emergency call handler for the London Ambulance Service.  Very stressful job at the moment!  I hope you like this card.  Best wishes, Phil.

1957.  Greetings from the UNITED KINGDOM
Greetings from England, Chris!  I'm Adam, I'm 24 and i'm currently studying for master's in Latin American Studies  On the 24th I'll go to Brazil to do some research.  Happy (early/belated) Birthday!

1951.  Chatham, Kent, ENGLAND
Pillar to Post (1980-new-style box)
Reproduced from a stamp designed by Silk Pearce, engraved by Czeslaw Slania and issued by Royal Mail on 8 October 2002
Hi, I am a retired high school teacher.  I volunteer once a week to help children with their reading.  That gives me time to indulge my love of travelling.  Julian (who has sent and received over 10,000 postcards through Postcrossing!)

1948.  Goodreads PC April 2019
Dancing Thistles, Sophie Appleton, 2011
I love books where the blurb shouts so-and-so inherits an old house!  I probably don't mind what genre the book is, as long as the heroine sets to make the house beautiful again.  One of my favorite books is Thornyhold by Mary Stewart, in which Cilly inherits her cousin's house and book of recipes and spells - white magic - and has to take up her place in the local community.  Exploring a house makes me very happy!  Especially if there's lots of detail and the house needs to be loved.  Lol, I think I am going to start a list on GR!  Love, Jodie

1940.  Southern Coast of England
Johannes Vermeer "Woman in Blue Reading a Letter" c. 1664
Hi Chris  I hope you like this painting.  The woman may not be reading a book but it looks as if she's completely engrossed by her letter.  I live, very quietly, in a small town near the sout coast of England.  I enjoy crochet but I've completely failed to get my mind (or my hands) around knitting!  I hope you're ejouying the spring and that you have a very happy birthday.  With best wishes, Serena

1927.  Kent, England
This exclusive design by Lauren Radley captures the essence of Ken't historic buildings and stunning countryside.  From the home of Winston Churchill and Jock the cat, fairytale castles, and iconic coast houses to the famous White Cliffs of Dover.
Hello from London!  Kent is just southeast of here and I was there last week for a short seaside holiday in a place called Whitstable which is lovely but not on the map.  Best wishes, Catherine
1904.  Oxford, England
Walter Crane (1845-1915) 
The Grave of Keats
Ashmolean Museum, University of Oxford
Postcard sent from Detroit.
Hello Chris from Detroit.  I hope you like this cemetery card.  I'm a 70 year old retiree living with my husband, Peter, and our pet dog, Nellie.  We recently had 5 inches of snow in one day and are told to expect a similar amount in a few days - a lot for here.  Marc

1301.  Surrey, England
25 July 2018
Here is a postcard of my county Surrey.  My village (10,000 inhabitants) is shown and I work in nearby Woking.
The Basingstoke Canal is a good place for walking and cycling.  
Just to the southwest of London, this is quite a busy area, but there is also some lovely countryside.  The green fields are no brown due to the current heatwave.  Best wishes, Christine

1221.  Cornwall, England
(sent from a father and son in Russia)
y name's Egor.  I'm 15.  I'm writing from my dad's account.  We really like sports, especially going to the gym.  May father is a coach and master of sports in weightfliting.  I also like running.  We want to travel to other countries.  Egor and Mikhael, January 2018

989.  Abney Park, London
Abney Park is a woodland memorial park and a local nature reserve, managed by the Abney Park Trust.(One of the "Magnificent 7" Cemeteries in London)
Card sent from Turku, Finland
Hei Chris!  Greetings from Turku, the oldest town in Finland.  My name is Anna-Maija an I live now with two lovely cats.  Last week I was in London (my niece lives there).  We visited in a district called Stoke Newington and found this amazing old cemetery..   Anna-Maija

846.  Dartmoor
mailed from the Netherlands
Hello Chris.  I hope you like this map card.  It's not from my own country but hopefully nice fun for your collection.  Have a nice summer!  Kim from Gouda.  

605.  Manchester, England
Hello Chris!
Greetings from a cool but sunny north oif England.  I live just to the side of Mancester (a little to the left of the map) and lthough I'm from the south, I love it up here.
     I've never been to America, but I hope to visit Las Vegas for my 40th next year.
     Hope you're having a great week.
Take care, Amanda

400.  Worcestershire Thatch, England
Hi kids,
What a great school project!  these houses date back before 1800 when slate for roofs started to become commercially available.  Today they are expensive to maitain, and difficult to insure because of fire risk.  But they look beautiful and there are still thousands around in the UK, and other parts of Europe.  I live in Droitwick, Worcestershire.
Best Regards, Duncan

No comments: