Sunday, March 1, 2020

Abandoned Books

Echoes Among the Stones by Jaime Jo Wright
2019
Goodreads:  4.58 - 209 ratings
abandoned 1/4/20
I made it - forcing myself - through the first third of this book, but it was too boring, oh so boring!  S L O W.  Didn't really care for the reader either.  It's the beginning of a new year, so I'm not going to force myself to finish!  (Note:  I didn't care for either of the protagonists in either time period, either!, just couldn't engage with either of them at all.)

The Glass Hotel by Emily St. John Mandel
2020
Goodreads: 3.79 - 28,089 ratings
abandoned April, 2020'
I think I wasn't in the mood, started listening twice but decided to return it to the library.  Maybe again someday?

The Glovemaker by Ann Weisgarber
abandoned 5/29/2020
DNF at 35%
2019
Goodreads:  3.82 - 1689 reviews
Returned to Audible, since I bought it for a credit.  What a waste of time  The same stuff, over and over and aver again.  And unfortunately, it's boring stuff.  Holier than thou Mormons lying and trying to figure out how to get out of things they've done wrong, all in the name of God.  I just can't go on one more page.

The Huntress by Kate Quinn
abandoned 4/1/2020
DNF at 21%
2019
Goodreads:  4.27 - 55,688 ratings
Usually I like books that keep flipping back-and-forth between people of time periods, but I figure I read almost a quarter of this book and just wasn't into it at all.  Granted, it was about WWII and set between the early1940s and early 1950s, which is a time period of which I am NOT enamored.  This is supposed to be a wonderful, highly rated book, but I've tried off and on for over a week and I'll pass it along to someone else.  (I waited for months for this audio to available through the library.)

Juliet: A Novel by Anne Fortier
DNF at 60%
2011
Goodreads:  3.90 - 25,074 ratings
abandoned 3/1/2020
 I thought I'd be drawn in by the two time periods, the present and the 1400s.  I wasn't.  I've never liked Romeo and Juliet, so I don't know why I thought I'd like this.  Read it on Kindle...

Lady in the Lake by Laura Lippman
2019
Goodreads:  3.56 - 12,812
abandoned February, 2020
I guess I wasn't in the mood, this didn't interest me at all.  I had other good ones waiting, so had no problem abandoning it!

Legendborn by Tracy Deonn
2020 - borrowed from Library, read on Libby
GoodReads: 4.51 - 8615 ratings
abandoned January, 2021
High schooler takes classes at UNC and encounters a secret magical society.  Read 19% of 512 pgs. (97 pgs.) and just didn't care for it.

The Lions of Fifth Avenue by Fiona Davis
2020
3.91 - 26,483 ratings
Read 33% of  354 pgs. = 118 pgs.
Just couldn't get into it, flipping from time periods gave me a sinking feeling about what was going to happen to the original character that I really liked, and I dreaded returning.

The Lost Symbol by Dan Brown
2009
3.70 - 493,137 ratings
stopped reading mid February, 2020
I do plan to return to this book!  I started it - on a borrowed copy from Melissa Truelove, when it first came out, and didn't finish it then.  I got through 23% of it this time when others I'd borrowed and waited for a long time arrived.  I WILL finish this book, and not in the too far future!  eAudio from Bosler...

The Poison Garden by Alex Marwood
2020
Goodreads:  3.68 - 703 ratings
abandoned February, 2020
I read about 40% of this and didn't like it.  For some reason it made me really nervous and it was one that I had to force myself to start again every time I put it down, unitl I realized I didn't have to finish it, even if I had paid full price for it, lol!

The Secrets of Paper and Ink by Lindsay Harrel
2019
Goodreads:  4.01 - 948 ratings
stopped reading 3/5/2020
I've started and read a great deal of lots of books lately that have been just plain not to my current liking  This one was pretty endless, the same old thing page after page.  All three protagoists were boring and I wasn't in any way compelled by any of their stories.  I read 52% or 326 pgs. (179 pages total)

The Shoemaker's Wife by Adriana Trigiani
2012
Goodreads:  3.99 - 73,279 ratings
I returned this in error before finishing, and had others to read so I went on to them.  I liked what I read so far, though, and would like to finish it.  It was a TPPL AUDIO, and I read/listened to at least 100 pages, so I don't want to wait too long to finish or I'll have to start over.  It was quite memorable.


The Silent Patient by Alex Michaelides
2019
Goodreads:  4.09 - 381,656 ratings
Read 24% (of 325 pgs.)
abandoned 4/26/2020
Slow and boring.  I put off reading this because it didn't sound like my cup of tea, and reading the first quarter of the book made me realize it's just not worth any more of my time.  They haven't even gotten into a tiny bit of Alicia's backstory yet.  I'm not going to wait any longer because, well, I don't care!
The Vanishing Half
by Brit Bennett
2020
abandoned 1/20/21
DNF @ at least 50%
I got well into the life of person #3 (the twin sister passing as white) and since I've had to FORCE myself to pick this up, I ended it..

No comments: