Saturday, June 6, 2020

Black & White Hexie Quilt

If I go back to blogs from March and April 2015, I can remember the first steps of this quilt, in Tucson.  I pulled it out today from a shelf in my PA home and decided to get started with it again.

Here's what I found sewn together, not much: (and there were 47 completed flowers in a lovely stack)
6/7/2020 Up to 182 hexies.  So much fun so far sewing this together!
6/11/2020  289 hexies
6/12/20 387 hexies.  I'm going to stop adding on too much for a day or two, I need to concentrate on getting a short stack of the horizontal diamonds ready to just grab and add.  I've got plenty of the 18-hexie flowers.  I'm loving the way this quilt looks!
6/14  New from-scratch elongated horizontal diamonds AND 523 hexies.
  
6/17 Sewing, sewing, sewing....660 flowers.....

6/21  797 flowers, slowly but surely.  Just received four more yards of white fabric, don't want to run out!
7/5/2020 917 Hexagons.  Been sewing together lots of the diagonals with b/w center, and not doing too much to the quilt itself,  I'm down to 24 (out of original 50) larger flowers that are ready to go.  Guess I'm going to have to do some calculations so that I know how many more flowers and diagonals I have to prep.  Good for visiting, waiting in the car, sitting my the ducks, and other times away from home.
Will have to triple check these preliminary figures, but:
standard full size quilt: 84 x 90
width: 8 flowers across = 76.5 in.
9 flowers across = 85.5 in.
length: 10 flowers down should equal about 92 inches
I'm thinking 9 flowers across by 10 flowers down
Need 90 finished flowers total
That means making 40 more.....don't groan!
This is fun, right?
7/16/2020  Sewing, sewing, sewing.  1060 finished hexies included so far, with lots of new finished larger flowers and diagonals.... 

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
Here's a sketch of the different sewn-together blocks I want to have ready to pick up and add as I begin in earnest to sew this together:

Here's the photo of what I'd laid out on the wall in Tucson before I moved:

No comments: