Wednesday, June 10, 2020

95. Fiance on Paper by Nicole Snow

listened to audio - Audible Escape
narrated by Jean-Paul Mordrake and Ellie McClendon
Unabridged audio (9:17)
2017 Ice Lips Press
320 pgs.
Adult Steamy Romance
Finished 6/10/2020
Goodreads rating:
My rating: 2
Setting: contemporary Seattle, Washington

First line/s: "Something in his makeup made him an utter bastard, but I owed him my life."

My comments: First of all, I don't think the guy on the cover is attractive at all.  Just saying....
Another kinky, steamy fake fiance romance.  This one's got a lot of background though, because it's been seven years since Maddie and Cal have seen each other, which is really, really weird because they'd adored each other the whole time.  I'm not exactly sure what has motivated him through those years, being so resistant to getting in touch with her even though she sent him lots of letters, etc.  And bad stuff gets fixed way to easily, a dying father who's been nothing but horrible to his son for years and with literally his last dying breath changes his tune?  A particularly aggressive maniac mobster-type backs down after his highly enforced mansion is easily breached?  Lots of trite stuff here which could have been written so much better.  The female reader was just a little too slow, mader her sound dumb.  The male reader was excellent. 

Goodreads synopsis:  ON PAPER, IT'S PRETEND. BUT MY HEART KNOWS WHAT'S REAL
          His proposal came in a little black envelope with thirteen unlucky words:
          You still owe me that favor, doll, and I'm cashing in.
          Marry me.
          In a normal life, I'd never get hitched to Calvin Randolph. Not with his heart-stopping blue eyes, infamous player reputation, and an ego bigger than the part of his anatomy he loves boasting about the most.
          Been there, done that. All except the last part, which he's left to my shameful imagination for seven years apart.
          Of course, the fake fiancĂ©e contract I just signed is anything but normal. Neither was the tragic day our schoolyard romance died, when he made an unspeakable sacrifice.
           He saved my life. He paid a terrible price. Now, I owe him big.
          He's come to collect in make believe: the blushing lies, the sideways glances leaving me breathless, the teasing kisses every time his teeth grab my bottom lip in front of the world.
          It shouldn't be this hard.
          It's just pretend. It's just a few weeks. I can totally resist the demanding, cold, obscenely handsome man he's become.
          We have our rules. But the simple one I kept to myself might be harder: don't fall in love.
          I already did that once. I know the risks. I won't let it happen.
          Because if his charm steals my heart again, if I let him go all the way when his lips trace scary promises on mine, this paper engagement becomes real enough to ruin us...

No comments: