Friday, April 29, 2016

MOVIE - Risen

PG-13 (1:47)
Wide release 2/19/16
Viewed date at Kolb Cheapie Theater 4/29/16
RT Critic:  53  Audience:  77
Critic's Consensus:  Risen benefits from a lighter tone than many faith-based productions, as well as a unique take on the Greatest Story Ever Told and a terrific turn from star Joseph Fiennes
Cag: 4 - Liked it a lot
Directed by Kevin Reynolds
Sony Pictures

Joseph Fiennes, Tom Felton

My comments:  I only went to this movie because I was craving a movie, didn't want to drive way across town, and was the only one left at the Gateway that I hadn't seen (other than a Disney flick, which I wasn't in any sort of mood for).  I was really, really nervous because I thought it would be preachy and religious. I was hoping for a decent historical fiction piece (I ate up books about this time period....The Robe, The Silver Chalice....when I was in high school.).  And it stars Joseph Fiennes, who I ADORE (jeez is he gorgeous.....)  So, with only a little bit of trepidation I bought my popcorn and soda and prepared myself for an unknown experience.  And I really enjoyed it!  Nice piece of storytelling set in 33 AD.  Set was great.  Acting was great.  Story was interesting, as was the perspective - of the Roman centurion, Clavius,  who was sent by Pontius Pilate to "solve" the case of the "risen" Yeshua. The disciples were happy, mellow fellas (Jesus-era hippies?), the miracles were a nice fantasy touch, and the actual religious/God aspect was played down entirely.  Jesus was pretty cool, too!  I liked this movie a lot, believe it or not!

Roger Ebert.com review here.  (2 1/2 stars)

RT Summary:  Roman military tribune Clavius (Joseph Fiennes) remains set in his ways after serving 25 years in the army. He arrives at a crossroad when he's tasked to investigate the mystery of what happened to Jesus

No comments: