Saturday, April 30, 2016

Postcards Received from Illinois

2065.  Oak Park, Illinois
Ernest Hemingway Birthplace Museum
GR PC May 5, 2021
I live around the corner from Hemingway's birthplace.  I don't subscribe to self-help books, or read a lot of nonfiction in general, but when I do it's usually a science book a la Mary Roach.  I really liked Phallacy by Emily Willingham and Four Lost Cities by Annalee Newitz.  Hope you are well and safe.  Take care - Amanda

1344.  First Union Congregational Church, Quincy, Illinois
This is one of the oldest churches in our city.  Happy to be a part of Litsy, Tammy

1292.  Illinois
Hi Chris, I hope this finds you well.  I love pcs & books, so this is my kind of swap!  Do you read "real" books or on a Nook or some other device?  I find I like "real" books better.  Hugs & Happy Reading, Vickyen

1273.  Illinois Cow Quartet
First Line of a Book Postcard
"Ben could hardly believe it.  His father was sixty years old."
Ok, I wrote two lines!  The first line was not very interesting.  The book is Beyond Danger by Kat Martin.

1149.  Chicago, Illinois
Angela Gonzales, Artist
Angela Gonzales artwork:  This image represents the door that Fermilab's reasearch into particles provides to our understanding of the universe, as the door reveals the sky with a particle accelerator in it.  Privately held print.  
Fermilab/ U.S. Department of Energy/Office of Science
Hello Chris!  I live in the country 40 miles west of Chicago and ten miles west of FermiLab, a federal government scientific research facility.  Ms. Gonzales was the resident artist until her death.  The feds bought farms and even a small town to have enough room for an accelerator.  They just celebrated their 50th birthday!  Jane

409.  Illinois Railway Museum; Union, Illinois
Hi Chris!  I'm a college student in Chicago, majoring in elementary education.  I'll be student teaching starting in January.  I would like tot teach first through fourth grades once I finish school, but I'm flexible!  Take care, Matt


457.  National Portrait Gallery:  Dame Ethel Mary Smyth
 (John Singer Sargent)
Hello from Chicago area.  My name is Mila.  I have two wonderful kids, who keep me busy all the time.  Along with this card I'm sending you peace, happiness, and wealth!  Best regards, Mila

505. Chicago, Illinois
Mary Stevenson Cassatt (American, 1844 - 1926)
Mrs. Duffee Seated on a Striped Sofa, Reading, 1876
Museum of Fine Arts, Boston
Hi Chris!  Congrats on your retirement, I hope you're loving it!  I love that you mentioned in your bio that you loave to drink ice-cold Diet Coke.  Thaq's my big vice as well!  Sometimes with a lemon in it if I'm feeling fancy.  I hope you like this postcard - Mary Cassatt is one of my favorite American painters.  Hope you're having a lovely summer!
Anna

No comments: