Tuesday, April 26, 2016

PICTURE BOOK - Secret Tree Fort by Brianne Farley

Illustrated by the author
2016, Candlewick
HC $16.99
32 pgs.
Goodreads rating: 3.73
My rating:  4
Endpapers:  Simple.  Pale green with individual leaves flicked in.  A great outdoors-in-the-yard kind of feel
Title Page:  Older sister curled up in comfy chair reading.  Younger sister creating a block masterpiece on the floor.
Illustrations:  charcoal, pencil, and ink.  Colored digitally.
1st line/s:  "It's a beautiful day!  Go play outside!"

My comments:  Ha!  The first pages definitely remind me of me and my own sister.....  And, it's dedicated to "my favorite sister." This book is cute, clever, and imaginative - a little Where the Wild Things Are meets Bink and Mollie.  And, unlike what really happened with my own sister, it has a wonderful, perfect ending.  Great picture book.

Goodreads:  Even a bookish big sister is drawn in by the promise of her imaginative sibling’s spectacular hideaway.
          I have a secret tree fort, and YOU’RE NOT INVITED!
          When two sisters are ushered outside to play, one sits under a tree with a book while the other regales her with descriptions of a cool fort in a tree that grows ever more fantastical in the telling. What will it take to get the older sister to look up? The promise of a water-balloon launcher in case of attack? A trapdoor to stargaze through? A crow’s nest from which to see how many whales pass by or to watch for pirates? Or the best part of all, which can’t be revealed, because it’s a secret?

No comments: