Monday, August 1, 2016

Postcards Received from Minnesota

2059.  Minnesota
UFFDA!  A Scandinavian expression   used to express compassion, empathy or annoyance.  
You Betcha!
26 May 2021
Greetings from Minnesota!  If you've ever seen the movie Fargo, you've heard this funny expression - we don't all have that accent, but we do all say "Oh ya, you betcha" more often than we'd like to admit - haha!  I live in the sourthern part of MN, farm country.  Best wishes, Melissa.

2053.  Lake George, Minnesota
Hello!  This is a picture I took of Lake George in a park near my house.  In the summer, you can rent a paddle boat or canoe and boat on it.  I love living near this park, especially this year because it was somewhere I could go amid covid restrictions.  I am looking forward to growing plants this summer.  I've started tomatoes and peppers in the house, and soon I'll plant them outside with corn and radishes, too.  What do you like to grow?  Take care!  Madeleine

1807.  Minneapolis/St. Paul, Minnesota
Hello from Victoria, Minnesota.  We are a fourth grade class of 27 from Victoria Elementary School.  We are located 45 minutes from the Twin Cities Minneapolis/St. Paul and the Mall of America.  Since we live so close to the cities, our rural community has grown to 4,000 people and 620 students attend our 1-5 school.  We are the VES Lakers, and our school has multi-age communities names after all the lakes in our town.  Did you know the source of the Mississippi River is in the norther part of MN?  The northeastern part of our state is bordered by one of the Great Lakes and the largest freshwater lake in the US - Lake Superior.  MN also borders our neighbor country to the north - Canada.  We love the changing seasons here and are looking forward to our first snowfall of the year!


807.  Chisholm, Minnesota USA
Day of the Dead
"A male skeleton dressed in a charro outfit wielding a machete, accompanied by a drunken skeleton."  Illustrations by J. Posada, 1910
Hi Chris,  Our gardening season is in full swing!  It is good to have fresh food from the gardenand look forward to enjoying the surplus - canned or frozen - in the winter!  Enjoy your summer away from triple digits and fires.

617.  Where the Jackalope Roam! 
Much like the stories of Sasquatch sightings, legends of the elusive Jackalope continue to haunt Western lore even in modern times.
Hello Chris,
     Greetings from central Minnesota.  I picked up this card last fall when we visited Mt. Rushmore.  I have lived in Pittsburgh and Tucson.  I would move bacdk to Tucson in a heartbeat!  Parts of Pennsylvania are beautiful though.
Best wishes, Jane

537.  "have a Coke and a smile" 
Cologne, MN
(I looked this book up - I'd never heard of it, bad me... First published in 1945, it won an Edgar for best first novel in 1946 and is considered a "classic of crime fiction."  It's a 70-year-old mytery novel...looks like I'm going to have to at least research it more, if not attempt to find it and read it....)
Hi Chris!  My name is JOAN.  I'm writing from Cologne, MN.  I was going to get a box from a 12 pk of Diet Coke and cut it into a postcard but I'm not sure how soon I would get to the store.  Joan

No comments: