Friday, June 24, 2016

37. The Last Fifth Grade of Emerson Elementary by Laura Shovan

Library book
2016, Wendy Lamb Books/Random House
256 pgs.
CRF in verse for Middle Grades
Finished June 24, 2016
Goodreads rating:  4.14 - 509 ratings
My rating:   4

My comments:  Stupidly, this is one of the reviews that I didn't write during the summer when I read the book (I HATE when I do that!)  It was written in verse from the point-of-view of different kids, and I wished that I'd taken quick, short notes about each of the kids from the start.  I think this would be an awesome book to use with middle grade book groups.

Goodreads synopsis:
Eighteen kids,
one year of poems,
one school set to close.
Two yellow bulldozers
crouched outside,
ready to eat the building
in one greedy gulp.

But look out, bulldozers.
Ms. Hill's fifth-grade class
has plans for you.
They're going to speak up
and work together
to save their school.

Laura Shovan's engaging novel is a time capsule of one class's poems during a transformative school year. The students grow up and move on in this big-hearted debut about finding your voice and making sure others hear it.
 

No comments: