Tuesday, June 14, 2016

34. The Map Trap - Andrew Clements

Audio cd read by Keith Nobbs
2014 Atheneum Books for Young Readers
144 pgs.
Middle-grade CRF
Finished 6/14/16
Goodreads rating:  3.71 (408 ratings)
My rating: 4
Setting: Contemporary small town Illinois

First line/s:  "When the fire alarm began to beep and blink on the Tuesday morning, the first thing Miss Wheeling thought about was her hair."

My comments:  As usual when I read Andrew Clements, I was not disappointed.  I was twice-thrilled to discover that not only did this young many love maps, he was a geocacher, and this was described and mentioned throughout the book.  Very cool!  Geocaching is the next-best-thing to letterboxing (IMHO) and I've never seen it mentioned in a book before.  Alton is a polite, thoughtful young man who instantly drew me in.  The (very) young teacher in this book is so unlike me, but I loved her, as well as Alton's friend (whose name I've already forgotten).  Short, fun read.  This was on just two cds and read by the very talented Keith Nobbs. NOTE:  I think there are some cool illustrations in this book that I missed out on by listening and not reading.

Goodreads synopsis:  This map-tastic middle grade story from Andrew Clements gives the phrase “uncharted territory” a whole new meaning!
          Alton Barnes loves maps. He’s loved them ever since he was little, and not just for the geography. Because maps contain more information than just locations, and that’s why he likes to draw maps as well as read them. Regular “point A to point B” ones, sure, but also maps that explain a whole lot more—like what he really thinks about his friends. And teachers. Even the principal.

No comments: