Sunday, August 10, 2008

The Peace Book - Todd Parr


For: Kids
Genre: Poetry (It's an "IS" poem!)
Pub: 2004
Rating: 5/5
Finished: Aug. 10, 2008

I purchased this book on June 26th from the gift shop at the Oklahoma City National Memorial. That in itself makes this book special for me, since I was so moved by the museum. And I love this book. It is simple, the artwork is bold and colorful and reminds me somewhat of Keith Haring's work. For many years I've taught fifth graders how a simple "is" poem can be very meaningful and paint pictures with words. This book shows how beautifully it can be done, without triteness or sappiness. It makes you look at our world in a positive way.

"Peace is making new friends
Peace is keeping the water blue for all the fish
Peace is listening to different kinds of music
Peace is saying you're sorry when you hurt someone
Peace is helping your neighbor
Peace is reading all different kinds of books".... and so it goes

I can think of many ways of sharing this book, but I'm really looking forward to making a segment of my school's PASSPORT TO PEACE Day an activity using this book. Maybe Todd Parr could make a quick trip from Berkeley to Tucson to help us out???

No comments: