Wednesday, August 20, 2008

MOVIE: Mamma Mia!

Rating: A Blast - Fun & Funny
Viewed: Thursday, Aug. 14, 2008
Rotten Tomato Rating: 54% (Rotten)
Mine: At least 15 pts. higher
EW: C+ cag: B+
Genre: Comedy
PG-13 (1 hr. 48 min.)

Okay, I admit it...I went to see this movie because Colin Furth was in it. I make it a firm practice to see him in ANYTHING. He was great, of course. And what fun! I saw the musical on stage at UofA Presents in Tucson a couple of years ago, so I knew the storyline and the music - you'd have to have been dead for the last twenty years not to know most of the ABBA songs. I especially loved the boat scene when the three men break into "Our Last Summer".

Julie Walters and Christine Baranski are a double hoot! Musical AND funny. Laugh-out-loud funny. And when Meryl Streep starts belting out "The Winner Takes It All" from the Greek hillside, you can't help but get goosebumps. I got a little tired of all the rushing around the patios of the falling-apart villa/hotel, arms flying, and poor Pierce Brosnan tried really hard to sing (you could hear tittering all over the theater when this happened, you just couldn't help it). And the full-cast singing act during the credits was worth waiting for!

Pure entertainment. Pure fun. These actors really appeared to be enjoying themselves, and I'd go see it again in a minute - and listen to the cd to boot!

Rotten Tomatoes CONSENSUS: " This jukebox musical is full of fluffy fun but rough singing voices and a campy tone might not make you feel like "You Can Dance" the whole 90 minutes." I guess I can go along with that.

No comments: