Sunday, August 10, 2008

34. Big Red Tequila - Rick Riordan

For: Adult
Genre: Mystery
Pub: 1997
Pages: 372
Rating: 4.5/5
Finished: Aug. 7, 2008

I enjoyed reading this book for several reasons. It is set in San Antonio, which I visited for the first time barely six weeks ago. I could visualize it quite well. It's written by Rick Riordan, who wrote Lightning Thief, a favorite, and who I heard speak at BEA in Los Angeles in May. It was full of humor, which I greatly enjoyed. For some reason the protaganist, Tres Navarre, reminded me of Robert Parker's Spenser, perhaps because of his quick and clever comebacks, and because he gets bruised but never really beaten. I discovered this series while visiting The Poisoned Pen Bookstore in Scottsdale with the Weinsteins in August. I had no idea Rick Riordan had predated his children's mythologically-based Percy Jackson series with an adult murder mystery series!
. There are a lot of characters introduced, I found I had to go back and jot down a few notes to remember who was who. Lots of "bad" guys, but it all makes sense in the end. Tres has returned from San Francisco after fleeing there ten years preiovusly after the murder of his father, a womanizing alcoholic who also happened to be sheriff (or some sort of cop). He now returns a different person, determined to find out who and why his father had been murdered.

No comments: