Sunday, August 17, 2008

MOVIE: Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants 2

Rating: Fun
Viewed: Sunday, Aug. 10, 2008
Rotten Tomato Rating: 64%
Mine: About the same
EW: B+ cag: B
PG-13 (1 hr. 57 min.)
Director: Sanaa Hamri

I totally understand why the filmmakers had to combine books 2, 3, and 4...these girls are getting older fast. I'd say it worked out just fine. They took bits and pieces of Books Two and Three, then set the movie during Book Four; the four girls have finished their first year in college and all have vastly different plans for the summer. I'd say it pretty much stuck with the story except for messing a bit with B's story. I imagine if I hadn't read the books I'd be just fine with how they rearranged it - but for this beautiful girl to be boyfriendless is just a mite unbelievable.

I loved Blythe Danner as B's grandmother, and Amber Tamblyn is a real hoot. I'm going to have to see what else she's done. Not crazy about the guy who played Brian. He was nothing, nothing, nothing like I'd pictured. And I loved the Greek island where the end of the book is set. I've wanted to go to Greece since I was eight, and I'd thought that my trip to Turkey would appease that yearning, but after seeing this island....well, something else to look into!

I thought that Ann Brashares' books were wonderful. I've read them and listened to them. I know lots and lots of girls who have devoured the books. I wonder how this film will digest with them? I went with a friend who had not read the books, but had seen the first movie. She liked this one, but liked the first better.

The Rotten Tomatoes Meter gave this a 64%, which is a thumbs up. They said: "Consensus: The workable chemistry among the four leads combined with the enriching message make for a winning Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants 2." YEEha.

No comments: