Friday, October 22, 2010

Me, Frida - Amy Novesky

Illustrated by David Diaz
Abrams Books for Young Readers, 2010
$16.95
32 pages
Rating: 2.5
Endpapers: Purple
Read 10-10-10. Great date, huh?)

First time reading this book was disappointing. So I reread it and examined it more closely. I think I see what the author is trying to do, but this is a book for kids and it's not clear enough.

In 1930, Frida Kahlo was newly married to Diego Rivera, who was famous and well-loved. He was hired to create a mural in San Francisco, so , of course, Frida accompanies him. She's never been out of Mexico before, and the author gives the feeling she's quite young.

Frida was lonely, friendless, and bored. She watched her husband work, accompanied him around the city and to numerous parties, where he was the star and she was on the outskirts. And it sounds like she didn't enjoy San Francisco - or not being in the limelight, at all.

Aftrer awhile, Frida felt bolder and began exploring on her own. And then she began to paint her own small paintings, creating her own style. And in April of 1931 she painted one of her most famous paintings - a colorful wedding portrait of herself and her husband. (It is still at the SFMOMA.) And it sounds like she ended up liking San Francisco....

I guess what Ms. Novesky is trying to do is show Frida Kahlo's growth from a shy young bride to an outgoing , confident painter? She certainly wants to showcase San Francisco, which is her home. I've read a bit about Frida, and this doesn't follow any pre-established ideas I have about her. And what I actually took away from the story I had to think about and figure out. And I didn't really like the Frida that Ms. Novesky portrays. I don't think it'll be clear to kids. But maybe my mind is too cluttered with other facts about Frida....

This is a longish review for me. But it felt good to work through my thinking about the writing and reread the book a number of times. I hate to say something bad about a writer - and greater minds than mine have okayed and edited and produced this book, but....I really feel the story is weak.

Diaz's illustrations are colorful and set the mood. But I think there are better books about Frida Kahlo available for kids.

Amy Novesky's website.
I can't seem to find an actual website for David Diaz. I'll look further later. I love his illustrations.

No comments: