Wednesday, January 6, 2010

MOVIE - It's Complicated

Cute with some good laughs
Released Dec. 25, 2009
R (1:54)
1-6-10 with Sheila at ElCon
RT: 50% cag: 86%
Director: Nancy Meyers
Meryl Streep, Alec Baldwin, Steve Martin, John Krasinski

There's been a lot of talk about this movie, that every woman over 40 should see it, that audiences laughed like they had't in a long time, etc. Okay. Well. It was a very entertaining movie with some definite laughs. It was fun to watch. I'd recommend it. But it didn't live up to its "hype" for me. Maybe because I was never divorced? I'll have to ask some divorcees about what they thought. Because that's the premise of the whole movie.

I love the three major actors, and they were wonderful. But the most fun for me was John Krasinski, as the son-in-law-to-be. He was wonderful in a super role. He was made for this part. I don't watch "Office," which is the tv show he's on, but I might just have to now. This guy's got it down!

Streep and Baldwin divorced after almost twenty years of marriage, Baldwin started messing around with a younger woman. Now, ten years later, he's married to her. His relationship with his first wife is civil but strained. But now, his current marriage is souring and he becomes attracted once again to Streep. They travel from Santa Barbara to NYC to the college graduation of their son, and, after drinking too much, get together. And on it goes. Steve Martin, who is the architect for Streep's anticipated addition, becomes attracted to Streep, too.

So. Go see it. It's fun. Downright enjoyable. Well acted. Good laughs. Things to think about. Tell me what you think.

No comments: