Sunday, January 17, 2010

Blake Shelton - The Guy That Introduced Me to Country Music

Blake Shelton, a native Oklahoman (is that the right word?) is currently working on his sixth studio album, which will be released on March 2, 2010. Included on this will be his already-hit single, "Hillbilly Bone," which includes lots of vocals by the gorgeously deep voice of Trace Adkins, another superlative country performer. The great video has been out for a few weeks. There's a cute four minute "behind-the-scenes"video that shows the two of them preparing for the video and goofing around, here.

I've listened to all five of Blake's albums dozens of times. My favorite is still the first one I bought, the first one I listened to over and over and over: 2007's Pure BS. My favorite of favorites is "The More I Drink." I love the video, too - it's like a comical mini-movie. I'm not much of a drinker, but I love the humor and playfulness of the song - and the way he sings it. Also on this album are three songs he co-wrote, "This Can't Be Good," "I Have Been Lonely," and "The Last Country Song." Three more songs were added later, "Chances" and "I Can't Walk Away," both written by Shelton, and a big hit for him, "Home," which was written and first performed by Michael Buble.

In October of 2008 I wrote about how I first heard of him, you can get to that blog here. I met him for about twelve seconds last April at Country Thunder in Florence, Arizona. Even got my photo taken with him (check it out!).

I love his voice and the way he sings. I love his tall lankiness. I don't love that his favorite things to do are hunt and shoot. Oh well, you can't have it all. I'm getting used to the fact that Miranda Lambert is his girlfriend. Whenever I need to pull myself out of the doldrums I crank up Blake on my iPod and dance around the living room. He gets me going every time. A girl's gotta dream, right?

No comments: