Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Postal History Foundation - Tucson

TEACHER ALERT!
My last week of actual vacation at HOME before school starts, so I decided to do some exploring, especially to places that aren't open on the weekend. First stop, First Avenue near the U of A Campus to visit the Postal Foundation and Museum. WHAT A FIND!

There was a small tour there from the Botanical Garden, and I hitched on behind them for a little while, until I was directed to the director of educational services, Lisa Dembowski. And then I started getting excited.

First, you should see all the boxes and bags and containers and shelves of used stamps in this place. WOW!!! Apparently, Lisa goes all over Tucson to classrooms with presentations and activities about stamps in general, or for specific topics or themes. She was informative, helpful, and knowledgeable about her job. She gave me a bagful of "damaged" stamps (they looked fine to me) so that we can collage some onto the front of our journals to get us excited and enthused about stamps...and history....and famous people....and art.... on the first day of school.

Volunteers were everywhere, lots and lots of retired and elderly stamp collectors who have different jobs around the foundation, from soaking and sorting stamps to specialized expertise-type jobs. I'd LOVE to volunteer in the educational program here. Only problem, it's only open from 8 to 3 or 3:30 Monday through Friday, so I'm not going to get to return very often once school starts, never mind volunteering. I do think I'll become a member, though. This was a great place.

There's a small museum, a lovely library with a great kid's section, loads of used stamps and books to purchase, and a REAL post office (open until 2:30) on sight, with no waiting!

And everything's FREE FREE FREE!

NOTE: Watch the parking signs. They mean it. I found out for a fact.

See their website. If you teach 4th grade/Arizona History, there's a free postal booklet you can download that's really terrific.....it's terrific even if you don't teach "Arizona History", but only have an interest in Arizona history (heh heh heh, get it?)

Visit at 920 No. First Avenue (just west of Euclid, First Ave. is not the major roadway here that it is above Speedway), Tucson, Arizona 85719. (520)623-6652. Have fun!

No comments: