Friday, July 17, 2009

44. Emmaline and the Bunny - Katherine Hannigan

for: young kids
(advertised gr. 1-3 in one place, ages 7-12 in another)
Greenwillow Books, Feb. 2009
112 pages
full color illustrations by the author
$14.99

PW calls this "an environmental fable." Somewhere else I saw that its a "celebration of ingenuity...and untidiness." Booklist gave it a starred review.

I've been sitting in front of the computer for fifteen minutes, trying to decide what to write. Maybe its because the last few books I've read have been murder mysteries and edgy young adult novels, but I don't know what to say about this book. I didn't like it. At all. Well, I guess I do know what to say. Perhaps if it was written in verse instead of prose? Would I then think it's a charming tale? I've read "Stink" lately, and "Ivy and Bean." Loved 'em both, so that shoots my first theory. I guess I just don't like the way its written. Because I do like what it says, just not how it says it.

Here is chapter 14 (Because I can't indent, I've put elongated elipses (.....) where paragraphs start):

....."They hopped in short grass and tall. They hopped around trees and along hedges.
.....Emmaline watched the white tail go up and down, up an down in front of her. "Bunny," she told it. "I am behind your behind."
.....When the bunny's ears went out, then in, Emmaline stayed still. "I am listening, too," she whispered."
.....When there were strange sounds, they scoot-skedaddled side-by-side. Beneath bushes, they crouched close together. "Bunny, I am not scared, mostly," Emmaline said."

The message is great....in the town of Neatasapin, Emmaline is NOT. She is noisy, and messy...a very ordinary child. Not allowed. When she decides she wants a bunny for her birthday, she discovers that it's agains the rules. Tough. Not HER rules! These are stupid rules, so she does something about it. See, great message.

So why don't I like the way it's written? I just tried reading it aloud, and when you make it sound more like verse it seems much better to me. Much less.....talking down. Less "See Jane run." Maybe that's it. Or maybe I'm just in a fussy mood. Hmmm....don't think so.

1 comment:

乾煎白鯧Sam said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.