Sunday, July 19, 2009

Oro Valley Public Library - Arizona

I've only been to this library once before, a few years ago, and I only stumbled upon it. I remember being very impressed. I was in Oro Valley yesterday, so decided to hunt it down. Wowee. What a great library!

This library is its own entity, owned and operated by the town of Oro Valley. It's an affiliate of the Pima Country Library. That was news to me. I took out three books, and the automation and procedures are exactly the same. I wonder if they have their own library card?

Teens and Children's both have their OWN ROOMS! And when you first enter, to the right is a huge, beautfiully labeled section of used books and media that is the FRIENDS of THE LIBRARY bookstore. Great prices, great selection, and lots of new stuff!

It's huge. It has public rooms - there was one room full of women playing Mah Jong. It has large study carrells sprinkled around. It looks like they subscribe to tons of magazines.

Unfortunately for the town and for me, it's closed on Sunday.

Outside is a gorgeous sculpture, a tree sprouting from a book. It was 113 degrees outside, so I didn't scramble to find something to write on to notate the words. I will next time. With the mountains in the background....what a sight!

There were no grouchy librarians that I could see. It was quiet and peaceful. It was packed with adults - not many kids here today.

I am so lucky to have access to the many wonderful libraries in the Tucson area!

No comments: