Sunday, January 24, 2021

5. Some Like It Charming by Megan Bryce

listened on Chirp
narrated by Tess Irondale, who was great
Unabridged audio (6:03)
2013
222 pgs.
Adult Romance
Finished 1/24/2021
Goodreads rating: 3.79 - 3215 ratings
My rating: 4, surprisingly enough...
Setting: contemporary LA and NYC


First line/s: "Mackenzie Wyatt looked up from her desk as two women went running by as fast as their fashionable heels could take them and sighed."

What I posted on Goodreads:  Definitely not a literary coup de grace, but entertaining and believable (in almost every way) and just the light-hearted read I needed in this time of chaos!  My rating is for the pure enjoyment factor.

My comments: I actually liked this book quite a bit.  It was completely entertaining and I loved the strong female protagonist.  It didn't drag on and on.  I'm not sure how much I would've cared for the rich guy if I'd read it instead of listened to it but Tess Irondale read him to perfection and as unbelievable as he was, I adored him.  There's no way a book like this would ever get rated a five be me, but I've got to rate it a four because for some reason it just tickled me.
     The cover is a bit disconcerting, because the hunky male protagonist is supposed to be quite BLONDE!

Goodreads synopsis:  Mackenzie Wyatt believes in two things: herself and her plan. And her plan is to keep her head down and to work hard until she can retire. Never mind that she doesn't know what she'll do once she retires– at least she won't be working for the man anymore. Because even though he's a gorgeous man, he's still her boss and he likes to push her buttons.
           Ethan Howell O'Connor's charmed life comes to a screeching halt after his latest ex-girlfriend starts a fashionable trend in talking to the tabloids. Now all of Ethan's old girlfriends are talking to the press, ruining his reputation, and wiping that charming smile right off his face. The only person that can brighten his black mood is the same person who can annoy him to kingdom come. He and Mackenzie have feuded since the day she was hired, but now Ethan's starting to realize: maybe those sparks were hiding a blazing fire.
          Mackenzie's about to find out that sometimes a gorgeous man can come up with a plan all his own, and it's a given that it'll mess hers up.

No comments: