Sunday, September 1, 2019

Birds (of the non-penguin type) Postcards Receivedl

3021.  GR PC May 2023
Sat. 10 June 2023
Dear Chris,  I though I was going to write here bout my love of Breq, in Ann Leckie's scifi Ancillary series ... but writing the GR PC April, about animals, I mentioned the alien Presger Translator Zeiat swallowing the pet fish and I realized I would LOVE to meet her.
Zeiat looks human, but she's not really, and everything she says is slightly ridiculous because she djust doesn't understand humans.  And then when humans try to explain things to Zeiat, it comes off sounding kind of ridiculous as Well!  That just makes me laugh, and I think we could be friends, although I'm not sure I could be as patient as Breq is with Zeiat!  :)
I also love SecUnit of the Murderbot Diaries by Martha Wells... The sarcasm and huge disdain for humans and augmented humans!  But I don't want to meet SecUnit because there would be too much anxiety!  *Laughs*
So exited that Ann Leckie's newest book is about the Presger translators!  Happy Day, Rift

2079.  GR PC May 2021
Wood Ducks
Dear Chris,  Oh, I used to be such a sucker for self-help books!  Creativity and how-to-draw books and how-to-be-happy books ... and habits of productive people and hot-ot-be tidy and how-to-not procrastinate! *laughs*
     My favorite creativity-type self-help book is Refuse to Choose by Barbara Sher.  I re-read this many times, and over the years I have managed to smush many of my favorite hobbies into several great projects like this one! (Nature, Photography, Computers, Writing, Reading, Mail, woohoo!)
A few years ago I read some Stephanie Bennett Vogt, and I have also taken her year-long online class for Space Clearing.  I must have done some de-cluttering during that year ... but I am back to making piles of junk, so the clearing def didn't stick!  Ha!
I'm currently reading The Power of Daily Practice.  I don't know why.  I've already got several daily practices in place.  I guess I just want to see how and why other people do it? :)
Ha - I don't think I'll ever cure the procrastination.  But ... maybe the next self help book I read...?! Happy day, Rift

2069.  Kuopio, Finland
Hello, Happy postcrossing.  Satu

2043.   GRPC April 2021
Friday 7 May 2021
I quite reading cis white male authors - for the most part - a few years ago...And now, diversity finds me!  All of my favorite series and books are authored by...
Black Women:  Xenogenesis (series starting with Dawn), The Best of All Possible Worlds, Binti (series)
Queer and Gay People:  The Long Way to a Small Angry Planet (series) and The House in the Cerulean Sea.
I also support Uncanny Magazine, which gets awards on a regular basis and has a "deep investment in the diverse SciFi & Fantasy culture")
While I have read some great nonfiction, like How to Be an Antiracist and Tomorrow Will Be Different, I would definitely like to expand my reading out to some mainstream books as well.  I'm sure I've read some diverse authors by and by, but I am taking note of any books you've recommended this month for sure!
Thnks for the postcard - sounds like you found fabulous book stores!  Rift.

2022.  GRPC October 2019
I am pretty particular when it comes to the books I read.  So I usually rate a standard book I've read at 4 stars.  If it's less great than I thought, it gets 3 stars.  I rate down for gratuitous or explicit violence and that's a 1 or 2 star book.  It just makes me sad when humans use there creativity to depict violence.
If I don't finish a book, I don't rate it, although I should...The only reason why I don't finish reading  story is because it's boring and I just abandon it!  I assume I'll come back to these books, but I rarely do.
     An amazing book - a 5 star book, a book I love - is more than just an engaging story that I can't put down.  It's also a story that I don't want to end!  It probably makes me cry at some point, and laugh out loud as well!  I want to spend time with the main characters in real life and I want to go to their world.
Happy (belated) Halloween!  Rift

1990.  GR PC Sept 2019
Cooper Hawk
Dear Chris, Yay Banned Books Week!  I had wondered if the sequel to The Handmaid's TaleThe Testaments was over-hyped ... a resounding NO!  It was an enjoyable read, which kept me on the edge of my seat, with a satisfying ending.  *Thumbs up*
I've red at least one book from each year's top ten ... tho I've read surprisingly few of the #1 banned books from each year.  Maybe that's something I need to work on!  I've read 13 of the classics, 13 of the diverse content, 12 from the 1990s list of 100 and 17 from the 2000s list.
     From the Top 11 books of 2018, I've read #1 George, #4 The Hate U Give, and #9 The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian.  Because my favorite children's book is And Tango Makes Three I am very much interested in A Day in the Life of Marlon Bundo.  I feel I should also read the book it was based on, in parody.  After all, the more bunny books the better!! :)  What's your favorite banned book?  Mine - To Kill a Mockingbird.  Happy Reading, Rift


1989.  Ufa, Russia
Hello Chris, I'm Ildar from Ufa, Russia, and work for an oil service company.  Best wishes.

1979.  GR PC August
Dear Chris, Yep, I've found and read some great  books this year!  From the nonfiction section:  Invisible Women: Data Bias in a World Designed for Men.  It's shocking and dismaying and really a book that people should read.  And I read all the James Herriot All Creatures Great and Small series, which was def a comfort read, since I watched the British TV show as a kid.  And now I'm just dipping into Being Wrong: Adventures in the Margin of Error, which seems like it's going to be one of those fun, eye-opening reads!
     New author, and new genre (fantasy):  N. K. Jemisin.  I read her The Fifth Season series last year, and have no read all of her books.  And they are all page turners, I just can't put them down!  And some great scifi: Ancillary Justice series by Ann Leckie, Binti by Nnedi Okorafor, and To Be Taught, If Fortunate by Becky Chambers.  All of these are just WOW! 
Hope you've discovered some great books as well
Happy Day, Rift


1954.  GR PC April 2019
Welcome back to the GoodReads Postcard Exchange!  The last time you played was in 2014?  How time flies!  I hope you'll have fun with the postcard exchange with lost of mailbox joy!  Rift

1268.  St. Petersburg, Russia
Hello, Chris.  My name is Viktor.  I live in St. Petersburg, Russia.  Sending a postcard almost with a bird - eagle from the US emblem.  Perhaps you are interested in the most leftist mark.  It was the emblem of the oldest city of Russia - Derbent-?? city is 2500 years old (opinions of scientists differ) Good Luck!  Viktor.

833.  Chonqing, China
14 July 2017
I come from Chongqing, China.  The Chongqing is situated in the southwest of continental  (??) on the coast of the Long River.  Because the city was built near the mountain, people call it "the mountain city." 

702.  Greetings from Czech Republic
Because I have only painting "reading cards" and you are man (!!) with a sense of humor, I send you raven card.  Raven is poem from Edgar Allan Poe, and you know it.  Enjoy your raven card and have a funny day, Jana.  
PS:  Raven in Czech:  KRKAVEC

671.  Germany
Hello Chris from the western part of Germany.  I send you many nice greetings.  My city is small, calm, and green.  Around is many industry and trade but farmers and gardeners also.  All the best, Take care, Norbert.

655.  India: The Nicobar Pigeon
The Nicobar pigeon is found on small islands and in coastal regions from the Nicobar Islands of India through the Malay Archipelago, to the Solomons andPaulau.  It is the only living member of the genus Caloenas and the closest living relative of the extinct dodo.  It is a large pigeon,measuring 40 cm (15.75 inches) in length.  It is a very vocal species, giving a low-pitched repetitive call.  The species nests in dense forest on offshore islets, often in large colonies.  It builds a loose stick nest in a tree.  Status:  Near Threatened
Greetings from India.  My name is Soorya and I live in the southern part of India.  I'm a homemaker and my husband is a retired railway engineer.  Hope you like the card.  I'm a keen philatelist and love cross-stitching.  Soorya

334.  Greetings from Finland!  
Here is card about my home areas sigil bird, metso (tetrao urogallus).  Large is male and it's hanging out with its chicks.  When in heat male can be really angry and attack on humans too!  My friend got attacked once but he sat on the bird until it calmed down.  Crazy guy!  But both are fine now. :)  Good summer for you, Mervi

311.  Melbourne, Australia
25/04/2016
Greetings from Australia!  I live in Melbourne - the country's capital of sports and culture.  I work as a software engineer and love tos pend my free time outdoors.  Have a good day!  Cheers, Nadya

No comments: