Friday, August 30, 2019

Postcards of Interesting People

2038. Germany
Wendenkonig / Serbski kral
Story of the Wendish King vs. the Germans
My name is Dorle.  I live in Berlin, but grew up in Lower Lusatia.  It is in the east of Germany, near the border with Poland.  I still consider this area to be my home.  Best wishes.

2033  Votes For Women!  Lucretia Mott
sent from Raleigh, NC
Disconcerted by the unequal treatment women faced in the abolition movement, Quaker minister Lucredia Mott(1798 - 1880) joined with Elizabeth Cady Stanton to plan the first women's right convention, in Seneca Falls, New York in 1848.

1923.  Molodechno, Belarus
Hello Chris.  My name's Olga.  I'm originally from Molodechno, a town with over 90 thousand inhabitants, 75 km from Minsk, the capital of Belarus.  I like art, reading, watching movies, travelling, and cooking (but not so often :) Hope you like this card.  Have fun with postcrossing!  Best wishes, Olga

909.  The Netherlands
My name is Eber and I'm writing from the Netherlands.
I'm sending you a postcard of Anne Frank.  I thought it would suit your current job as librarian in youth services - kids and young people need to hear about Anne and her diary, so that the horrors of war and prejudice do not spread anymore.  Cheers, Eber.

906.  Houston, Texas
May-Britt Moser: Psyhologist and Neuroscientist
I just moved here with my family last year.  And now I've seen the heaviest rain i've ever been through!  You know, Hurricane Harvey.  It's crazy!  Best wishes, Amelie, August 2017

814. Russia 
Ivan Bilibin, Russian Artist (1876 - 1942)
On postcard illustration of the famous Russian artist Bilibin.  he created wonderful illustrations of fairy tales.  It is possible that you library has a book with his illustrations.

757.  Itzig, Luxembourg
I am Dan, 52, lives in a little town called Itzig in Luxembourg/Europe.  Best wishes and Happy Postcrossing with Stan and Ollie!

431.  Mustafa Kemal Ataturk 1881 - 1938
Hello Chris!  I've received so many cards from you that now I'm quite confused as to how to reply!  Anyway, I thought you might enjoy this card of the founder of the Turkish Republic, Ataturk, whose mausoleum is in Ankora.  It might be a good teaching opportunity.  Although I do realize that your students are quite young.  Best. June 9, 2016

No comments: