Friday, January 2, 2009

Jewish Literature Challenge

Because I teach at a Jewish Day School, and am learning slowly but surely about Judaism, AND because I teach middle school literature, AND because I want to learn more about the culture, history, and celebrations, I'm looking forward to this challenge.

website: http://jewishliteraturechallenge.blogspot.com/
rules (they seem pretty simple):
What: Reading at least 4 books by Jewish Authors or about Judaism
When: December 21, 2008 (Beginning of Hanukkah) to April 27, 2009 (End of Passover)

I'll post the books as I read them. I gave my friend, Fran, Sarah's Key (DeRosnay) for Christmas - it looks really good, and Yellow Star (Roy) has been recommended to me as a companion to when I teach Night to my 7th graders. Picture books are also incredibly helpful, so let's see how many I can read from now until Passover!

1. People of the Book (Geraldine Brooks) Adult Mystery
2. Someone for Mr. Sussman (Patricia Polacco) Picture Book
3. The Secret Seder (Doreen Rappaport/Emily Arnold McCully) Picture Book
4. The Yankee at the Seder (Elka Weber/Adam Gustavson) Picture Book

No comments: