Monday, May 10, 2021

May GoodReads Postcard and Question of the Month

 Question:  
Dear Beautiful Readers,
What are your thoughts about Self-Help books? Love them? Hate them? Do you read them? Have any changed your life? Or do you avoid them? Why?

2079.  GR PC May 2021
Wood Ducks
Dear Chris,  Oh, I used to be such a sucker for self-help books!  Creativity and how-to-draw books and how-to-be-happy books ... and habits of productive people and hot-ot-be tidy and how-to-not procrastinate! *laughs*
     My favorite creativity-type self-help book is Refuse to Choose by Barbara Sher.  I re-read this many times, and over the years I have managed to smush many of my favorite hobbies into several great projects like this one! (Nature, Photography, Computers, Writing, Reading, Mail, woohoo!)
A few years ago I read some Stephanie Bennett Vogt, and I have also taken her year-long online class for Space Clearing.  I must have done some de-cluttering during that year ... but I am back to making piles of junk, so the clearing def didn't stick!  Ha!
I'm currently reading The Power of Daily Practice.  I don't know why.  I've already got several daily practices in place.  I guess I just want to see how and why other people do it? :)
Ha - I don't think I'll ever cure the procrastination.  But ... maybe the next self help book I read...?! Happy day, Rift

2065.  GR PC May 5, 2021
Oak Park, Illinois
Ernest Hemingway Birthplace Museum
I live around the corner from Hemingway's birthplace.  I don't subscribe to self-help books, or read a lot of nonfiction in general, but when I do it's usually a science book a la Mary Roach.  I really liked Phallacy by Emily Willingham and Four Lost Cities by Annalee Newitz.  Hope you are well and safe.  Take care - Amanda

2045.  GRPC May 2021
11 May 2021
I loved your Amish postcard!  I am reading my 2nd book by Emma Maas.  Both were Amish based and both were good!  I'm not into self-help books either.  The only nonfiction books I read are autobiographies, books about urban legends & paranormal, and true crime books.  I too love children's books, fairy tales, and cozy mysteries.  Hope your visit with your sister was great.  Happy Reading, Sandye


No comments: