Saturday, July 28, 2018

PICTURE BOOK - Amanda Bean's Amazing Dream: A Mathematical Story by Cindy Neuschwander

Illustrated by Liza Woodruff
Math activities by Marilyn Burns
1998, Scholastic Press
for K - 3
available at Bosler Library N-bins
32 pgs.
Goodreads rating:  4.08 - 171 ratings
My rating:3.5
Endpapers:  rolling hills with helmeted sheep riding bicycles
Illustrations go from edge-of-page to edge-of-page.  Look like pen & ink drawings that heave been colored with water color.  Very nice, simple

1st line/s:  "I am Amanda Bean and I love math.  I know all about counting.  I am very good at it.  I can count by ones, twos, fives, and tens.  I can add up anything.  The kids at school call me Bean Counter."

My comments:  Simple book that introduces the concept of multiplying, that it is easier than adding or counting.  Excellent introduction.  Ends with three pages of activities/ideas to extend kids' learning about multiplication, but Marilyn Burns, mathematics idea guru extraordinaire.

Goodreads:  Amanda Bean loves to count everything, from the books in the library to the popcorn in her bowl. If only she could count faster! Her teacher tries to persuade her of the virtues of multiplication, but Amanda remains unconvinced--until she has an amazing dream. Full color

No comments: