Thursday, January 11, 2018

MOVIE - 3 Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri

R (1:55)
Wide release 12/1/17 (But hard to find around here)
Viewed January 11, 2018
IMBd: 8.2
RT Critic:  92   Audience:  87
Critic's Consensus:  Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri deftly balances black comedy against searing drama -- and draws unforgettable performances from its veteran cast along the way.
Cag:  5.5 Incredible acting
Directed by Martin McDonagh (who also wrote it)
Fox Searchlight Pictures

Frances McDormand, Woody Harrelson, Sam Rockwell, Peter Dinklage

My comments:  I snorted, I rolled my eyes, I got sad twinges in my stomach, I laughed, I was horrified, and I was constantly surprised.  Now that's a movie that takes you through efery emotion like you are on a short but sweet roller coaster ride.  I must admit the opening bars -- or even more than just the opening bars -- made me cringe.  It was opera; shrill, screechy opera.  My muscles were tense from the onset and I'm so glad that the rest of the music was totally acceptable after that bad start.  This was an amazing movie, with actors and actresses that have earned my standing ovation.  So many emotions, and they all rang true!  Definitely a winner.  There was one side story that was harder than I would've guessed at this pint in my life would be quite as difficult as it was, which brought back Steve' battle 17 years ago.  That was a little hard.




RT/ IMDb Summary:  THREE BILLBOARDS OUTSIDE EBBING, MISSOURI is a darkly comic drama from Academy Award winner Martin McDonagh (IN BRUGES). After months have passed without a culprit in her daughter's murder case, Mildred Hayes (Academy Award winner Frances McDormand) makes a bold move, painting three signs leading into her town with a controversial message directed at William Willoughby (Academy Award nominee Woody Harrelson), the town's revered chief of police. When his second-in-command Officer Dixon (Sam Rockwell), an immature mother's boy with a penchant for violence, gets involved, the battle between Mildred and Ebbing's law enforcement is only exacerbated.

No comments: