Saturday, October 14, 2017

61. I've Lost My Hippopotamus by Jack Prelutsky

illustrated by Jackie Urbanovich
read the book - from Bosler Library
2012 Greenwillow Books
144 pgs.
Kid's Poetry
Discovered and read on 10/10/17
Goodreads rating:  3.89 - 277 ratings
My rating:4

Some of the poems I liked to follow comments, below

My comments:  I was greatly surprised to see this book pass through circulation at the library....I'm very familiar with other Prelutsky books that "look" the same - A Pizza the Size of the Sun, New Kid on the Block, Something Big Has Been Here. - but this was totally a new one to me.  There were lots of poems that take two words (one being an animal) and combining them:  Pelicantaloupes, Crabacus, Asparagoose, and Wiguanas to name a few, where he goes on his usual silly explanations that no one else can get away with.  And there are six haikus!  CAMEL:  I have one large bump,/ Two long, beautiful lashes,/ And a foul temper.  His vocabulary usage, as usual, is superb, introducing what I am sure are many new words to unsuspecting young'uns.  Lots of fun!


Goodreads synopsis: Some of the animals in this book are real. They include:
the hippopotamus (she's missing)
the elephant (he's artistically talented)
the octopus (it's great at multitasking).
          Others may not be quite so real. These include:
the wiguana (very hairy, for a lizard)
the halibutterfly (there's something fishy about it)
the gludu (quite clingy).
          In the tradition of Jack Prelutsky's classic poetry collections The New Kid on the BlockIt's Raining Pigs & Noodles, and A Pizza the Size of the Sun, here is a book packed with more than 100 funny poems and silly pictures. Most of the poems are about animals—some are big and some are small, some have unusual interests, and some are just plain unusual.


A handful of haiku: (!!)

Camel

I have one large hump,
Two long, beautiful lashes,
And a foul temper

Frog

All evening I sing.
Happy on a lily pad,
Celebrating spring.

Mole

Tunnel!  I tunnel!
I never see my tunnels,
Yet they comfort me.

Oyster
I’m clearly no gem,
But in my interior
I’m growing a pearl.

Peacock

I am glorious!
My tail has a thousand eyes
For you to admire.

Zebra

Black white black white black.
I am a striped illustion,
A horse in disguise.

Cupcakes

I’m very fond of cupcakes
And love to eat them up,
But I’ve never found a cupcake
That came inside a cup.

I Played a Game of Golf Today

I played a game of golf today –
I’d never played before.
I wasn’t ery good at it
And won’t play anymore.

I shot a sixty-seven,
Which was surely not my goal.
My score was even higher
When I played the second hole.

I’m Gazing through My Telescope

I’m gazing through my telescope
At something in the skies,
Something I could never see
If I just used my eyes,
Something that’s so far away
I wonder haow the light
Can even reach my telescope
Sop I can see the sight.

Somewhere in the universe,
As distant as can be,
I now extraterrestrials
Are looking back at me.
Of course, I can’t detect them,
And in fact, I have no hope,
If they can see me, the must have
A Better telescope.

A Centipede Was Thirsty

A centipede was thirsty,
But to satisfy its need,
It drank too much for it to hold ---
And so the centipede.

My Pencil Will Not Write

My pencil will not write,
My crayons do not draw,
My lantern cannot light,
My saws refuse to saw.
My toothbrush is too soft,
My football can’t hold air,
My kit won’t stay aloft,
I’ve lost my underwear.

My songbird has no song,
My you-you doesn’t work,
My calendar is wrong,
My clock has gone berserk.
My TV won’t turn on,
My hat falls off my head,
My cat’s meow is gone ---
I’m better off in bed.

My Snake Can Do Arithmetic

My snake can do arithmetic,
My snake is far from dumb,
My snake can take two numbers
And come up with a sum.

She can’t subtract, which makes her sad,
And two things make her sadder . . .
She can’t divide or multiply ---
My snake is just an adder.

No comments: