Monday, August 21, 2017

49. Colorless by Rita Stradling

Colorless #1
read on my iPhone
2017,
400 pgs.
YA Fantasy
Finished 8/21/17
Goodreads rating: 3.73 - 64 ratings
My rating: 3.5

First line/s:  "Staring at the white streak across my most cherished painting, I considered my death."

My comments:  
This is only my second NetGalley read, and the first one was bitterly disappointing, so my heart sank a few chapters in as I was unsure about whether I'd keep going. I couldn't get into this world at all. There was too much left to the imagination, and my imagination wasn't cuttin' it. And I was put off by the Daily Devotions to the gods. Although this world became (slowly) more clear, I think the little information imparted by those Daily Devotions could have been revealed in a different way. Found myself skipping them entirely in the second half of the book. But all of a sudden things started connecting and reading between the lines of all three points-of-view helped me enjoy the plot more and more. That's not to say I don't still have about a hundred questions, but I'll leave those to be answered in volume 2 (that's not to say that more questions will be included!).
          Great characters, interesting setting, out-of-the ordinary plot, not enough world building, and short added tidbits between chapters that I didn't need or want to read. I think that sums it up....and I greatly look forward to another entry in the saga. However, I'll probably want to reread this one just before I begin the next....

Goodreads synopsis:  In Domengrad, there are rules all must live by: Fear the Gods. Worship the Magicians. Forsake the Iconoclasts.
          To Annabelle Klein, the rules laid down by the Magicians are the mere ramblings of stuffy old men. As far as she’s concerned, the historic Iconoclasts, heretics who nearly destroyed the Magicians so long ago, are nothing but myth. She has much more important matters to worry about.
          Heiress to a manor mortgaged down to its candlesticks and betrothed to her loathsome cousin, sixteen-year-old Annabelle doubts the gods could forsake her more.
          Then Annabelle is informed of her parents’ sudden and simultaneous deaths, and all of the pigment drips out of her skin and hair, leaving her colourless. Within moments, Annabelle is invisible and forgotten by all who know her.
          Living like a wraith in her own home, Annabelle discovers that to regain her color she must solve the mystery behind her parents’ murders and her strange transformation.
          Meanwhile, hundreds of the Magicians’ monks, with their all-black eyes and conjoined minds, have usurped control of Annabelle’s family manor. An Iconoclast is rumored to be about—a person who they claim goes unseen, unheard, and lost to memory, yet is the greatest threat to all of Domengrad. For the first time in a hundred years, the monks plan to unleash the dire wolves of old.
         Their only target: Annabelle.
 

No comments: