Monday, August 21, 2017

Postcards of Libraries, New and Old


871.  Germany
Rococo Library in Bad Schussenried
Baden-Wurttemberg
My name is Michaela.  I like to travel, read, animals, nature and lots more.  TLC.  Love, Michaela

858.  Rio de Janeiro, Brasil
Real Gabinete Portugues de Leitura
Royal Portuguese Reading Office
Hello Chris,  This postcard shows a library we have in Rio de Janeiro that has more than 350,000 books.  It was created in 1837 and received books from Portugal.  It also has some rare books that are related to the history of Brasil and Portugal.  Did you know it?  23 July 2017

839.  Vilnius, Lithuania
Vilnius University (Largest in Lithuania)
Hi!  Greetings from Lithuania's capital Vilnius!  I'm sending postcards after five years break.  This postcard is very old, here is main library at our capital's University but description is written in Polish language here.  One I have translated is book of Nicholas Sparks "At First Sight."

836.  Saint Petersburg Russia
The Winter Palace, Gothic Library of Nicholas II
Many greetings from Russia, from interesting and beautiful Saint Petersburg!  Have a nice day.  Tatiana

799.  Furstliche Bibliothek Corvey - GERMANY
(Princely Library Corvey - aristocratic private library)
Hello Chris, my name is Hans.  This is one of many rooms of library at the Princely Palace Corvey, Germany.  all the best.

798.  Maas en Peel Library, The Netherlands
De Bibliotheek Mass en Peel - Vestiging Reuver
Hi Chris, my name is Jessica.  I am German, but I moved to the Netherlands for a job many years ago.  My husband is German, too.  We met on the internet!
NOTE:  She responded to my thank you!:
“Hi Chris,
yes, the card shows my local library. They used to do postcrossing, too (TheBusyLibrarian), but they stopped because the postage costs have been rising through the roof in the Netherlands the last 3-4 years. It made me cut down considerably, too :-( It's becoming a little bit of a luxury in the Netherlands, doing postcrossing. But hey, it's a hobby and hobbies do tend to cost money ;-)
By the way, I took the picture myself and also, it is me in the picture, haha... They weren't open at the time I was there to take pictures and the staff was busy, but I wanted somebody in the picture to make it look more alive. So I took a remote-control picture of myself :-)
Well, wishing you a nice day & happy postcrossing.
Jessica”

788.  Benedictine Monastery Library in Broumov, Czech Republic
send from a postcrosser in Poland
I'm a 45-year old woman who works as a pediatrician and I love my job.  I come from a small town Itza, 80 miles south of Warsaw, which was famous for its clas pottery in Poland since the Middle Ages.  Nowadays, Itza is know for ruins of the medieval castle (you have received postcrd with photo of them from Piorunica), knigh tournaments, and delicious ice cream.  Cheers  (I visited this place two years ago.)



No comments: