Sunday, January 31, 2016

I've Been Cooking - Salsa Chicken Casserole

(Recipe calls for an 8x8 pan - I don't think that would be big enough.  I used my biggish casserole dish.  You want it to be deep enough to immerse the chicken.)

Preheat oven to 375 degrees.

Dump into casserole dish:

1 c. uncooked Basmati rice
1 c. froz corn, thawed (I threw in the whole bag)
1 15-oz. can black beans, drained & rinsed
1 16-oz jar Salsa
1 c. chicken broth
1 t. oregano
1/2 t. salt
1/4 t. pepper
1 1/2 lbs. boneless chicken (I used thighs)
      Make sure the chicken is immersed in the liquid.

Cover tightly with tin foil and bake for 1 hr.
(Rice was not yet cooked all the way and chicken didn't look ready, either.  I added another 45 minutes.  Rice, by then, was a little mushy - but I used regular white rice instead of Basmati.  However, a bit mushy or not, it was delicious.)

The recipe adds: take it out of the oven, cover with 1 c. shredded cheese and put it back in the oven for a couple of minutes for the cheese to melt.  Since, I'm not particularly fond of cheese, I skipped this step.

I found this recipe when someone shared it on Facebook.  It comes from a website called TipHero.

No comments: