Saturday, January 30, 2016

3. The Fifth Wave - Rick Yancey

#1 The Fifth Wave
read on my iPhone
2013 G. P. Putnam's Sons
457 pgs.
YA Dystopia/SciFi
Finished 1/30/16
Goodreads rating:  4.17
My rating: 4.5
Setting: Contemporary Ohio, after the world's been taken over by aliens

First line/s:  "Aliens are stupid.  I'm not talking about real aliens. The Others aren't stupid.  The Others are so far ahead of us, it's like comparing the smartest human to the dumbest dog.  No contest.  No, I'm talking about the aliens inside our own heads."

My comments:  This was definitely an edge-of-your-seat book, which I read in anticipation of the movie; this is one I wanted to read before I saw.  Entertaining.  Somewhat suspenseful.  Heavy.  And as much as part of me wants to run right out and see the movie - today - another part of me is definitely not ready.  I couldn't put it down, yet I didn't want to pick it up.  That's TRULY mixed feelings, about a book that really gets to you.  This one did. (When I ask myself why I gave it a 4.5 instead of a 5, I realize the violence factor was a little too much for me, which is what edged it down to the 4.5)

Goodreads synopsis:  After the 1st wave, only darkness remains. After the 2nd, only the lucky escape. And after the 3rd, only the unlucky survive. After the 4th wave, only one rule applies: trust no one.
          Now, it's the dawn of the 5th wave, and on a lonely stretch of highway, Cassie runs from Them. The beings who only look human, who roam the countryside killing anyone they see. Who have scattered Earth's last survivors. To stay alone is to stay alive, Cassie believes, until she meets Evan Walker. Beguiling and mysterious, Evan Walker may be Cassie's only hope for rescuing her brother--or even saving herself. But Cassie must choose: between trust and despair, between defiance and surrender, between life and death. To give up or to get up.

No comments: