Wednesday, November 12, 2014

PICTURE BOOK - The Noisy Paint Box by Barb Rosenstock

The Colors and Sounds of Kandinsky's Abstract Art
Illustrated by Mary Grandpre (of the Harry Potter series!)
2014, Alfred A. Knopf
HC  $17.99
32 pgs.
Goodreads rating: 4.29
My rating: 5-stars
Endpapers: Yellowed-out foggy impressions of a Kandinsky painting with colorful (what looks like) dabs of paint
Can I tell you how much I love the double-page-spread title page?  (big sigh)...gorgeous!
Author's Note at end of book
"I could hear this hiss of colors as they mingled." - VK

My comments:  Ever since I started looking at paintings and appreciating art, Vasily Kandinsky - and his gorgeously colorful abstract art - have been my very favorites.  I'll never forget standing in the Guggenheim Museum with the "real thing" in front of me.  This story was an eye-opening mini-biography that drew me into Kandinsky's world.  It also introduced me to the idea of synesthesia. Cool book.

Goodreads:  In this exuberant celebration of creativity, Barb Rosenstock and Mary Grandpre tell the fascinating story of Vasily Kandinsky, one of the very first painters of abstract art. Throughout his life, Kandinsky experienced colors as sounds, and sounds as colors--and bold, groundbreaking works burst forth from his noisy paint box.

No comments: