Saturday, November 8, 2014

PICTURE BOOK - The Right Word: Roget and His Thesaurus by Jen Bryant

Illustrated by Melissa Sweet
2014, Eerdmans
HC $17.50
40 pgs.
Goodreads rating: 4.53
My rating: 5 FOR SURE! My 2nd favorite book of 2014!
Title Page:  double-page spread, blocks of wood with alphabet prints
Endpapers:: vertical strips of vintage papers collaged in thin stripes
At the end of the book there's a two-page detailed, really interesting timeline, a page-long author's note and a page-long illustrator's note, followed by a page of resources and other sorts of information.
1st line/s:  (the book begins with this glorious quote) "The man is not wholly evil - he has a thesaurus in his cabin." (J. M. Barrie's Peter Pan; about Captain Hook....)

My comments: This is much more than a biography of Peter Roget.  As an altered book artist and journaler I find the illustrations just magnificent.  They include words as part of the illustrations.  Lists of words; wallpaper of words; thinking boxes and journal pages - different fonts, paining and collage - wonderful, whimsical words, delicious words....it's almost overwhelming.  I've poured over each page, finding all sorts of inspiration for my own journal-making, writing and art.                   WONDERFUL BOOK!  Roget is my new hero (Jen Bryant and Melissa Sweet are already on that list)!
     I want a literature circle set of this book for my classroom!

No comments: