Saturday, September 15, 2012

POETRY - Please Bury Me In the Library - J. Patrick Lewis


illustrated by Kyle M. Stone
2005, Gulliver Books
Goodreads rating:  4.03
My rating:  3.5
32 pages, 16 poems
Endpapers:  Pale yellow

Illustrations:  Cover the page from edge to edge with color (though many facing pages, with the poem, are on white. Acrylic paint and mixed media.

16 poems about the library, and books.  Many are based on poems of others (similar rhyme, rhythm).  Of them all, the two following most speak to me...I really love "Acknowledgements"

Necessary Gardens

Libraries
Are
Necessary
Gardens,
Unsurpassed
At
Growing
Excitement.

Acknowledgments

Whose book this is I hardly know,
Considering the debt I owe

To Lewis Carroll and Edward Lear.
To X. J. K. - a toast (root beer)!

To Shel and Jack, and Myra Cohn,
Who always give this pup a bone.

To those word wizards I've left out,
The only thing to do is shout:

Who book is this?  The bottom line . . .
It's partly theirs.  It's partly mine.

No comments: