Saturday, September 15, 2012

POETRY - A Chill in the Air - John Frank

Nature Poems for Fall and Winter
illustrated by Mike Reed
2003, Simon & Schuster Books for Young Readers
32 pgs.
Endpapers:  Mustardy-gold

Simple late-fall and winter poems for kids, some with rhyme, many with humor, and all describing a coldness or northern falls and winters.

Words

In the dawn

that chills my bones
and numbs my face
from ear to ear,
I see each word I speak
take flight,
a whiff of fog,
then disappear.

A Cold October Night

If any witches plan to ride

their broomsticks through this cold night air,
they'd best make sure beneath their gowns
they're wearing thermal underwear.

A Sprinkling of Snow

It hardly snowed at all last night

although I hoped it would.
I wished for lots and lots of snow,
but wishing did no good.
With so much snow my snowman
would have grown and grown and grown.
But now he's scarcely bigger than
a three-scoop ice-cream cone.

Footprints

As I am walking

in the snow
my footprints follow
where I go,
and make a long
and winding track
that leads me home
when I turn back.


No comments: