Saturday, January 8, 2011

A Tale of Two Daddies – Vanita Oelschlager

Illustrated by Kristin Blackwood & Mike Blanc
Vanita Books, 2010
$15.95
40 pgs.
Rating: 3.5/4
Endpapers: Simplistic silhouette, two shades of deep pink
Illustrations: Afterword includes a description of their process!

There are many things I like about this book, and just a couple that I don't. I love the subject, of course, that a child of any gender can live a normal, loving life with gay parents. I love that the personalities of the two dads are not only discussed, but SHOWN in the illustrations. Only their legs, never their faces. Love it! I love that this wonderful child is such a free spirit. I like that the story rhymes and has somewhat of a rhythm. And that leads me to what I'm not so crazy about...the rhythm is off in many places, and sometimes the rhyming seems forced. But you can't have everything, right?

The protagonist and her male friend are having a back and forth question and answer conversation, that's how the storyline goes:
"Who's your dad when your hair needs braids? Who's your dad when you're afraid?
Poppa's the one when I need braids. Daddy is there when I'm afraid."

No comments: