Saturday, January 8, 2011

The First Pup – Bob Staake

The Real Story of How Bo Got to the White House
Illustrated by the author
Feiwel and Friends, 2010
$16.99
32 pages
Rating: 4
Endpapers: Colorful cartoonish dogs running across the page
Illustrations: 1.) pencil sketch 2.) cut out the silhouettes 3.)scan and digitally color 4.) Adobe Photoshop details added

Here's another book about Sasha and Malia Obama's dog, Bo. He even graces the cover of Of Thee I Sing! It's a cute story of how the Portugese water dog came to the White House. I'd love to know how much of this was true. I'm sure that it was Ted Kennedy's idea, that makes sense and I know he had a Portugese water dog. But did it arrive by limo as the world watched?

The illustrations are cartoonish, but work (I'm not really a fan of cartoonish illustrations, especially in true stories). A great book to share with kids, especially when talking about the presidency and the First Family.

1 comment:

Betsy Parkes said...

I didn't know about this book, but will definitely look for it at the library. Last year I read a book about President Obama to the 1st graders in my class, and I could see it just wasn't connecting with them. I think talking about the President through the story of his dog could make a good first book for this. What kid doesn't like to hear dog stories? :)

Thanks for the post. And I just discovered your site. Lots of great finds. I've bookmarked it so that I will return often.

Betsy Parkes
www.the-best-childrens-books.org