Sunday, December 19, 2010

Put On Your Travelin' Shoes: SEATTLE

Just two days here to check out as much as I could, and much of one day was reserved for a beautiful wedding. I love this city!

When I left for Seattle, the 10-day forecast was for rain...every single day. But when I looked out my 7th floor window Sunday morning - my first day ever in Seattle, Washington - the sun was shining brightly, people were out and walking about, and I could clearly see Mt. Rainier in the distance. Wow.

Just outside the Marriott Waterfront is an elevator that goes up about seven flights - and lets you out on the edge of Pike's Market, one of the major toruist draws in Seattle. Streets go up and down hills that in many ways remind me of San Francisco!

After roaming through the fish stalls, jewelry makers, flower and vegetable venders, and incredibly diverse stands - hundreds of them - I discovered an information booth. James, its friendly, funny proprietor, directed me to my next few stops and helped me nail down a couple of the important things I wanted to do the next day.

First, after walking through Rocky Mountain Chocolate and out the door on the far end, I found myself in an indoor "mall." Across the hall was UNDERCOVER QUILTS. A wonderful store, small, great fabrics, samples, patterns.

Pike Place Chowder had many choices...too many choices...so I finally chose the 4-cup sampler. My favorite? The clam chowder. A close second was the seared scallop chowder. The smoked salmon was quite tasty (it appeared full of capers, I've always avoided them before, but they worked just fine). The 4th - recommended by the server - was my least favorite, the seafood bisque. I sat in a window facing the alley where an aged, long-haired, gap-toothed singer-guitarist entertained. I couldn't hear him, but he was fun to watch.

Then on through Cost Plus to a hidden elevator in the very rear corner. Funky. Up to the second floor, down a deserted outside corridor to discover a very cool shop, So Much Yarn. Small, first class yarns. Added a couple of reds to my collection, since I'm into making Christmas stockings right now.

Back to the hotel for the wedding. Lovely. Fun. Happy. Mazel Tov Alyssa and Dan! I'm so glad I could be here for this!

Monday morning walked up the hill....up....up....and up more, 'til I hit Westlake Center, a three-story complex of retail shops with the Seattle monorail and a large multicultural food court as the uppermost destination. Spaghetti and meatballs for breakfast, now that's my idea of perfection!

The monorail, originally built for the 1962 World's Fair, delivered me nonstop to th Seattle Center, which houses museums, gardens, a merry-go-round, and the Space Needle. I spent a couple of hours checking out the exhibits at the EMP (Experience Music Project), spending lots of time on the history and music of Jimi Hendrix. Wow. I didn't make it to Renton, where he's buried, but sure got a great taste of him at this classy museum. It also houses the Science Fiction Museum, but I'll save that for another visit. Because there WILL be another visit. The building itself is something to see...like nothing you've ever seen before.

By the return trip on the monorail it was drizzling pretty steadily, and I walked east for a few blocks, ending up at Pacific Place, Barnes & Noble, and the movie theater, where I took in a screening of Black Swan. After a fantastic dinner at Bell Street Diner, seated in a poinsettia and candlelit booth right on the edge of the waterfront, I headed back to the Marriott and the packing that awaited me.

I loved Seattle. I must come back.

1 comment:

sheila said...

Perfect travelogue! Thanks Chris!