Friday, November 20, 2009

MOVIE - The Invention of Lying

Many good chuckles in this one....
Released 10-2-09
PG-13 (1:39)
11-19-09 at Crossroads (me, myself, & I)
RT: 56% cag 65%
Director: Ricky Gervais (also the protagonist, and writer, I think...)
Jennifer Garner, Rob Lowe, a few fun big name additions with tiny parts

A fantasy alter-world where everyone tells the truth and there's not one moment of disbelief. "You're ugly and fat." "Never in a million years, pal." Nothing is kept to one's self - you tell it like it is and if you hear something negative (which is constant), you have to eat it up and take it. A very depressing world, full of unhappy people. But for some unknow reason, at the moment when our protagonist, Mark, is at his absolute lowest, he lies. He is believed. Totally and completely. And the story takes off from there.

Yeah, it's a love story. It's a story about "the man in the sky" who has never been heard of before. Mark invents him to answer some questions. It's fun and funny most of the time. There is, of course, some eye-rolling that will inevitably take place in this sort of story, but there are some big chuckles. Politically-incorrect chuckles, to be sure. It was an enjoyable movie that doesn't leave you up, or down, or anywhere really. Just....entertainment, I guess.

I knew immediately that the sweeping setting was somewhere in Massachusetts. I was thinking perhaps one of the mill-type towns in western Mass. I watched the credits 'til the end (as I always do....I know....boring, boring.....) and it was filmed in Lowell, Mass. Not quite western Mass, but almost. Isn't it funny how sometimes you know something for sure?

No comments: