Monday, November 9, 2009

If the Shoe Fits - Laura Whipple

Voices from Cinderella
Illustrated by Laura Beingessner
Margaret K. McElderry Books, 2002
$17.95
68 pages
Rating: pretty cool
Endpapers: Icy blue

Told in 33 different verse/poems, we hear the voices of Cinderella, her father's ghost, her stepmother, her cat, the king, the queen, and their son, (yup, that's the prince-) the stepsisters (which are poems in two voices), the ball guests (told in many voices), her "godmother", a rat, and even each lost shoe AND her feet - well, this would make a great reader's theater poduction for 17 or 18 kids. I was reminded of Good Masters! Sweet Ladies! (Schlitz) as I read. Many possibilities here. Here's how it starts:

Father's Ghost

Hear my voice first.
Blinded by a cunning woman,
I was the unfortunate fool
who set the stage
for the ashes and tears in this tale.

Left widowed
with a daughter,
my sweet Ella,
I remarried in a rush.
Rash move.
Reckless choice
for a new wife.

I planned to make amends
to my daughter,
but I fell from my horse.
A fast death.
No life. No remedy
then for my mistake.

What a fool to take
that woman into our lives;
a woman cruel,
uncaring at best.

I am only shadow now.
My poor Ella.
I cannot help her.
I cannot rest.

Great vocabulary. A pleasurable retelling of the most-commonly told Cinderella.

Illustrations accentuate the book, but don't dominate. I'd really like to try this aloud!

No comments: