Wednesday, June 17, 2009

The Imaginary Garden - Andrew Larsen

Illustrator: Irene Luxbacher
2009
For: Young Kids
Kids Can Press
Rating: 4.5 (maybe even 5?)
Endpapers: Pale Blue (why?)

The story is cool, the art is wonderful, a mixed-media collage. There is lots of dazzling white which brings out the greens, purples, and yellows of the extremely vibrant garden. Black and white line drawings enhanced by painting with subtle collage thrown in: cut paper, fabric...... Painting happens before your very eyes, page by page. They even show how to paint a bird with simple strokes of color! I may have to upgrade my rating to a five, the more I study the pages. Very, very cool.

When Theo's Poppa moves from his old house to an apartment, he has to leave his fabulous garden behind. But, on his 4th floor (I counted!) balcony, on a huge canvas he has placed against the wall, wearing gardening hats, they paint an imaginary garden from the ground up - adding elements as the growing season progresses. I love the cover - here's where I desire another poster for my room.

What a cool book. And very clever.

1 comment:

Julie Ray said...

Sheila gave me the link to your blog today. I love children's books and it's fun to see your reviews.