Tuesday, June 2, 2009

30. Austenland - Shannon Hale

Read by Katherine Kellgren (mediocre)
BBC Audiobooks America
5 discs, (6:20)
2007
Rating: 2

Okay, I was superbly disappointed. The author of Princess Academy, a Newbury Honor, writing an adult book about taking a three-week vacation at an English Manor, that pretends to be Jane Austen's England? The young NYC graphic designer has a crush on Colin Firth? (ahem, I know a little about that feeling....) Actors pretending to be regency gentlemen, corsets and manners and.....well you get the idea.

It turned out to be an ultra-wordy romance novel, without any s-x. I'm not even sure why I finished it, I just thought it might get better. No matter how much you love Pride and Prejudice, this one's a yawner. I'm sorry, Shannon Hale. I really enjoy your YA writing, But as much as I love Austen (AND Mr. Darcy), this story was B O R I N G and could have been easily told in half the words.

No comments: