Thursday, April 16, 2009

Fancy Nancy's Favorite Fancy Words - Jane O'Connor

Illustrator: Robin Preiss Glasser
2008
Rating: 4
$12.99
endpapers; brigth, dark pink

A smaller version of the Fancy Nancy series, (perhaps 7 in. by 9 in.), this shows how you can use snazzy words instead of ordinary words - right up my alley

Fiasco - a big flop, a disaster. I dropped all the parfaits. What a fiasco!
Improvise - to use whatever is handy in order to make something. I wanted a canopy bed, so I had to improvise. I used a sheet, a mop, and a broom!
Yearn - to want really badly. I yearn to visit Paris some day.

Illustrations are detailed and fancy, flowery and very, very girly, quite adorable. The theme towards all things French and the way to look at snazzing up your words is excellent...and quite fun. This would be a great lead-in to creating a class book of snazzy words. CACOPHONY! EGREGIOUS! DILAPIDATED! Let's get started!

1 comment:

Iris E. said...

Chris---
Sylvan is a Fancy Nancy fan! After we first discovered her, I heard him under his breath saying "FUUUU-cshia! Fuuuu-cshia!" And he when we heard the ketchup song on Prarie Home Companion one night and it included the line "like ketchup in your parfait..." I though Sylvan might pee his pants. Such a great vocab-builder.

Lois Lowry was here for Reading Round Up last week and I almost died not being able to attend...It was Sylvan's at-school birthday celebration and I couldn't miss that. But OH! It sounded incredible!!

XO
Iris