Thursday, February 18, 2021

15. Map of Shadows by J. F. Penn

#1 Mapwalker
Listened on Chirp
narrated by Charlie Sanderson
Unabridged audio (5:23)
2017
208 pgs.
YA Fantasy
Finished 2/18/21
Goodreads rating: 
My rating: 1.5
Setting: Bath, England

First line/s: "Michael Farren sat at his desk in the old map shop, an antique parchment in front of him portraying the ancient city of Bath."

What I posted on Goodreads:  Just didn't do it for me, for some reason.  I DO usually like this type of book...

My comments: Although I listened to the entire book, I really couldn't get into it.  I didn't care about the characters or either of the worlds that were described.  Because it seemed more like they were being described, not shown.  I loved that the main setting was Bath, England.  Other than that, it just  wasn't for me.  

Goodreads synopsis:  A map of skin etched in blood.
          A world under threat from the Borderlands.
          A young woman who must risk the shadows to save her family.
          When her Grandfather is murdered under mysterious circumstances, Sienna Farren inherits his map shop in the ancient city of Bath, England. Once there, she discovers that her family is bound up with the Ministry of Maps, a mysterious agency who maintain the borders between this world and the Uncharted.
          With the help of Mila Wendell, a traveller on the canals, Sienna discovers her own magical ability and a terrifying place of blood that awaits in the world beyond.
          But when she discovers a truth about her past and the Borderlands begin to push through the defenses, Sienna must join the team of Mapwalkers on their mission to find the Map of Shadows – whatever the cost.
          In a place written out of history, a world off the edge of the map, Sienna must risk everything to find her father … and her true path as a Mapwalker.
          This dark fantasy novel is the first in the new Mapwalker series.

No comments: