Tuesday, August 13, 2013

Short Story - Runaway - Alice Munro

"Runaway" - Alice Munro
The story is 45 pgs. long
from Runaway by Alice Munro, (Vintage, 2005)

I love Alice Munro's storytelling.  This one was particularly interesting because I'm not sure exactly what was going on near the end of the story.  I've thought and though about this ending.  Interesting.

This is the first story in Munro's collection of the same title.  It's about a young woman and her husband who run a small horse stable giving riding lessons and boarding a few horses.  Clark is gruff and subtly mean-spirited, and gives off weird vibes right from the beginning.  So with the help of a neighbor, Carla leaves him.  After only a short way she panics, leaves the bus,  calls Clark, and returns to him.  After a weird, epiphany-type happening between Clark and the neighbor, there's also a very odd ending.  I've tried to not include any spoilers, but give enough information to help me remember the story.

No comments: