Saturday, August 27, 2011

49. The Mostly True Story of Jack - Kelly Barnhill

Little Brown & Co., 2011
HC $
for:  YA, or clever Middle-graders, I guess.... some recommendations say 9-12...
323 pgs.
Rating:  Who knows?  I wanted to quit....often....during the first half, but I kept on plugging, hearing myself say to my students, "You're not supposed to "get it", you're supposed to figure it out."  Well, even at the end I couldn't figure it out.  I've thought about it a lot since I finished, and I guess I sort of "get it," but not ALL of it. But, I must add, I've never been much of a FAIRY TALE fan. The last 20 pages helped.  But I didn't really like it.  I liked some of the ideas.  But I guess ultimately I'd have to rate it a 2.

First Line/s:  Frankie was the first to know.  Frankie was the first to know most things -- but since he hadn't spoken since he was eight years old, it didn't matter what he knew.  He couldn't tell anyone. 

I'll add more of my own thoughts shortly.

Here are a few reviews from other places on the net.  Most are shiny, sparkling manifestos:

The Book Element (this came close to some of the things I might have said)
GuysLitWire
Eva's Book Addiction
Publisher's Weekly (starred review)
School Library Journal FUSE8 (2012 Newbury prediction)

No comments: