Sunday, June 12, 2011

28. Numbers - Rachel Ward

Chicken House/Scholastic, 2010
$9.99 (library)
325 pgs.
For YA
Rating:  2

I saw Chaos in the bookstores, which is the next book in the series.  The premise sounded good, so I got Numbers to read first.  Interesting idea, but the plot was slow and the characters were not very interesting or likeable for me.  I just never felt like I could get into either Jem or Spider's heads at all, and the foster mother certainly needed more fleshing out.....

Jem's a foster child, her mother overdosed when she was very young.  She's been shuffled from foster home to foster home since, making no friends, living with a huge chip on her shoulder.  She doesn't look many people in the eye, because when she does, she sees a a list of numbers that's a date.....and she figured out quite young that the date signifies when they are going to die.  There's nothing she can do about it, so she's become a loner.

She meets Spider, a tall, smelly, black young man that's in one of her school classes, and despite the fact that he doesn't have long to live (she never tells anyone about this), they become friends.  Then an unexpected incident sets them both on the run from the authorities..  As they set off across the countryside together they end up closely bonding.  It was very s s s l l l o o o o o w w w w for me.  Not enough going on, including conversation.  Just didn't sit right with me. 

So I guess I won't be reading Chaos, which I think is about Jem's son, sometime in the future.

No comments: