Monday, November 1, 2010

Book Challenge Update

I am not doing well with my book challenges. I was SURE that I could read 100 books this year, but I just finished book number 70. That's 30 more to go in two months...the two months that I have a huge pile of unfinished Christmas projects to complete.

What happened that makes me disappoint myself so? Three things. I've read lots of picture books this year, and of course I don't count those. I've spent a lot of time reading well into books that I decided not to finish. (I always tell my students that there are too many books out there to spend time reading a book that we don't really care for.) And I've worked 70 t 80 hours a week since August, which allows no time for pleasure reading....or anything that includes pleasure for that matter.

My 10-10-10 Challenge means I must read at least 100 books. I know I can repeat titles (ten of them, I think), but I was determined not to do that this year. The Medieval challenge is totally bookless so far - I've got one on my TBR pile, but there are others that always call my name in a much louder voice. My 39 Clues challenge bombed because I realized that I really disliked the books and didn't want to waste my time on them. Even my Caldecott challenge his bottom because there are always so many more new books or curriculum-related books that I want to read.

Bummer.

No comments: